Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Banh Mi Rice Bowl

We are in the middle of this year's Whole 30, but due to COVID, I just can't bring myself to be as strict as I have in years past. If we can't go hang out at bars/restraunts, go to concerts, travel, I am not going to deprive myself of everything that is good. 

But this was a good compromise. I left out the sugar in the pickling juice, and it still tasted delicious. I used 1 T soy sauce and 1 T coconut aminos to add a little sweet instead of the brown sugar. I used brown rice instead of white, but if I was being strict Whole 30, I would use cauliflower rice. You could use the sauce as a marinade for a full pork tenderloin, too. Its adaptable!

For the pickled vegetables:

Shredded carrots
Red onion
Rice vinegar
Sugar
Salt

Mix together in a bowl and let sit for at least one hour.

For the rice bowl:

White, brown or cauliflower rice
Cucumber, thinly sliced or matchsticks
Green onion
Jalapeno slices
Cilantro

For the Sriracha mayo:

1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1 T sriracha
1 t soy sauce

Mix together and let sit for about an hour.

For the pork:

Sesame Oil
1 lb ground pork (or thinly sliced pork tenderloin)
1 T soy sauce (or coconut aminos for Whole 30)
2 T fish sauce
2 T brown sugar (or see above for alternative)
1 T lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t ground ginger (or fresh)
Black pepper
2 t olive oil (leave out if not marinating)

1. If marinating, place ingredients in bag and marinate for at least 1 hour. 

2. Heat sesame oil in pan over high heat. Cook the pork (ground or slices) until brown. Pour the marinade over the pork and cook until reduced. 

No comments: